Friday 6 October 2017

Out in Business Newsletter

EUROUT 2017

EUROUT 2017 is coming! We are working hard at putting together an amazing conference! We look forward to welcoming the best students, professionals and alumni from around the world to network and discuss important topics in the business and LGBTQ spheres here in London this November. If you have not booked your ticket, do so now! Also, check out the write up below about one of our featured speakers, Sue Nabi!
Dates: 17 - 19 November
Tickets: 
https://www.eurout2017.org/tickets
 

EUROUT Speaker Profile: Sue Y. Nabi

EurOUT is delighted to announce keynote Sue Y. Nabi, the former worldwide president of L'Oréal and Lancôme and current founder and president of Orveda, to talk about her professional and personal journey.
Born in Algeria as Youcef, Sue Nabi always possessed a passion for both beauty and business; and, essentially, a fierce sense of knowing, intrinsically, who she is. Her vision and ambition, charisma and kindness, and Engineering degree and MBA from ESSEC, led to Nabi’s almost meteoric rise in one of the world's greatest beauty giants: L’Ore´al.
As the youngest CEO in L’Ore´al’s history, Nabi drove double-digit growth, launched blockbuster, bestselling lines, and championed diversity in beauty - across age, gender, and ethnicities. Her success led to her next role as President of Lanco^me, where her launch of La vie est belle, with Julia Roberts as its face, is heralded as the best perfume launch in history - and it remains a top 3 bestselling perfume worldwide.
In 2013, Nabi reinvented a different brand: this time, herself. Healthy lifestyle choices, as well as the influence of Taoism, Ayurveda, Naturopathy and Biotechnology inspired her latest venture: Orveda, which she co-founded with Nicolas. A disruptor in high-end luxury skincare, Orveda is a green yet efficient, highly-concentrated skincare range, which works with skin, not against it, Orveda signals a breakthrough in skincare formulation and, essentially, the rise of a new, cleaner, greener and vegan era.



Coming Out Week!

We are so excited about Coming Out Day that we turned it into a whole week! See below for all the details.
Join the Out in Business Club on Wednesday October 11th for Coming Out Day, an annual LGBTQ+ day of awareness and celebration. Read more about National Coming Out Day here: 
https://www.hrc.org/resources/national-coming-out-day
Speaking up and coming out – whether as an ally, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, kween, or otherwise – has the power to changes attitudes and minds across our campus and create new advocates for equality.
So we’re asking allies across the campus to come out by:
  • Joining us Friday October 6th 7:00-10:00 p.m. @ The Yard for “Coming Out” to Happy Hour RSVP
  • Putting an “Ally” sticker (to be distributed in class) on your nameplate
  • Sharing why you support LGBTQ+ rights on the “Why I’m an Ally” cards (also to be distributed in class) – these will be displayed in the Lounge at Sammy Offer on October 11th for official Coming Out Day


Meet the Club Co-Presidents

I asked our club co-presidents a couple of questions to try to get to know them a little better (including the dreaded "Why MBA?")!

Albert Saniger, MBA 2018

Question 1: Why MBA?
AS: I wanted to expand my network. I didn’t want to be in my previous industry’s bubble. I wanted a global network of successful leaders with very different career goals. These people are now my friends and we build on each other’s knowledge and abilities. It’s exactly what I’d hoped for.

Question 2: Have you ever had an “ah-ha” moment about being out in the workplace and why its important to you?
AS: I wouldn’t say there was an “ah-ha” moment per se, but I definitely had a realization a few years before starting my MBA that I could get more involved in the community and benefit from it. Being out became part of my brand and it helped me in so many ways. I wasn’t always proud of self-identifying as LGBTQ but I have done a pretty big pivot in that regard. I now realize that sexual orientation and gender identity journeys increase one’s self-awareness and respect for diversity, both crucial in business!

Question 3: What do you value the most about your MBA experience so far?
AS: The people I’ve met. In my first year, I wanted to meet as many people as I could. It was a strategy of going broad. I went to several events that put me outside my comfort zone to meet and interact. In my second year, I am less focused on creating new bonds and more focused on strengthening existing bonds. I want to invest my time and energy on building lasting friendships.

Question 4: Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
AS: Working less hours a day! Spending time with my kids. Professionally, I want to be doing a number of projects – whether part of a big organization or smaller company. I want a flexible professional life that allows me to touch on different industries or projects on a regular basis. Including nonprofit! I recently founded a nonprofit to fund business studies for trans and gender non-binary students. The pipeline of self-identified genderqueer applicants is very low, so there is a lot of work to be done. I hope to continue working on that in the future.
[Stay tuned for a future feature on Albert’s charity!]
Question 5: Favourite ice cream flavour and why?
AS: Ohhhh hazelnut! I used to hate it as a kid but my dad would order it all the time - I was against everything that my dad did back then. Years later I found out that my mom liked it too and then I gave it another try and found that I loved it! There’s this place in New York called Eataly with homemade  nocciola gelato. It’s my third favorite thing in the world - after my husband Anthony, and Beyoncé.

Paul Aziz, MBA 2018

Question 1: Why MBA?
PA: For me it was very simple. Having spent almost a decade trying to fall in love with finance - flirting with everything from hedge funds to internal strategy consulting and corporate to private banking and everywhere from London to HK and Switzerland - I realised that it wasn't going to happen, that I wasn't getting any younger and that I needed to find a career that I could get really excited and passionate about.
I felt that an MBA was the best way to get some time, the headspace and the support to work out what path to follow next.
Question 2: Have you ever had an “ah-ha” moment about being out in the workplace and why its important to you?
PA: No ah-ha moments for me.....but with hindsight it's super clear that I've been happiest at work and formed much healthier and enjoyable relationships (with colleagues, clients, everyone) the more I've been myself in the workplace.

Question 3: What do you value the most about your MBA experience so far?
PA: The flexibility to make it your own and get what you need out of it - you can geek out 24 hours a day, party your socks off, juggle three internships, take the time to re-connect with family and friends...or some combination of them all.

Question 4: Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
PA: Back at LBS talking about the successful exit from my first wellness venture...and getting excited about my next. Back up plan: house husband...

Question 5: Favourite ice cream flavour and why?
PA: Anything from Gelupo. Just go.

In the news

Women-only Cambridge college to allow students who 'identify as female'

Murray Edwards College admissions policy change welcomed by gender diversity campaigners but decried by some feminists.

Announcing its change Dame Barbara Stocking, the president of Murray Edwards College, said: “We are a college that is open to all outstanding young women and so it is absolutely right, both legally and within our set of values, for anyone who identifies as female to be able to apply to study with us.
“There is now a greater understanding of the complexities of gender. In order that we remain true to our mission of being open to all outstanding young women we recognise that it is right for anyone who identifies as female, regardless of their born gender, to be able to apply to study with us.”
Read the full Guardian article here: Link

No comments:

Post a Comment